Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Book Review-Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

I am one of those girls who reads a book thinking "Yep. Saw that coming. That too." I am not easily pleased and often dislike more books than I like.

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott is one of those books that makes me go "Whoa! That's different." This books is written from the point of view of a 15 year old girl. 5 years earlier she was abducted from a school field trip by a pedophile. He drives her a few hours away and keeps her locked in his apartment. For five years he starves her, abuses her, controls her. She wants out of the situation so desperately she is willing to die or sacrifice another little girl for her freedom. The story goes through her thoughts and fears as she and this man scout around town for her replacement and his next victim. It's not a fast paced story but the plot and the way it unfolds kept me turning and unable to put down the book until it was done. Then I dove onto the internet for more books by Miss Scott. I haven't found a book that gave me such a different take on a horrible crime. The world is littered with books about the heroin and her daring escape and spitting in the face of your captors before using your years of martial arts training to beat him to a pulp. Finally, a book that realizes that not all girls can kick ass and take names yet does not make the girl into a helpless "somebody save me" person either.


No comments:

Post a Comment