Monday, December 27, 2010

Book Review-Anna and the French Kiss

I am in love. With a book. More specifically, a Young Adult romance chick lit book. Not something I thought would ever be happening.

I picked up Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins after Amazon suggested I might like it. I wishlisted it and waited for it to drop in price, since it just came out in December. Then one day John Green raved about it, citing how it was written during NANOWRIMO and was just fantastic. I am a dork for my fellow NANOWRIMO participants so I purchased it and figured I would read it between calls at work since I wouldn't have to really concentrate on chick lit.

On a whim, I picked it up last night to read the first chapter and was absolutely enthralled. Perkins has managed to spin this tail of an American girl sent to a French boarding school. Withing giving too much away I will tell you it's AMAZING. It's got romance (duh) and croissants and English boys and real girls with real hobbies and interests. I can't tell you how annoying it is to read Mary Sues in actual printed books. Save that for Fanfiction.net. But Anna is so far from a Mary Sue, she's very real and emotional and finds herself in the situation that many of us do: hot English boy has hot girlfriend.

Something about this book just makes you want to keep reading. Every chapter is a cliffhanger in such a subtle way that you aren't annoyed, you just want more. By the time I finished I was giddy with delight and yanked out my laptop to search for more from this great author.

I'd give it ten out of five stars if I could. I've already began my author stalking for the next book. Stephanie Perkins is not only an excellent writer but a cool chick as well.

Everyone should go buy and read this fabulous book!

No comments:

Post a Comment